JUST IN: Avalanche Drops Bombshell on Rantanen’s Contract—Beloved Fan-Favorite Now a Top Rival

Mikko Rantanen may have ruffled feathers across the hockey world, but he finally secured the contract he had been pushing for, signing an eight-year, $96 million extension with the a rival team, averaging $12 million per season.

The move was a shocking development for Colorado Avalanche fans, who had grown to idolize Rantanen as a key player in their Stanley Cup-winning campaign. The trade itself was already a seismic shift when he was sent to the Carolina Hurricanes in January in exchange for a package centered around Martin Necas. But when Dallas swooped in and signed him to a long-term deal, it added another layer of heartbreak for Avalanche supporters.

Rantanen’s departure was not just about a roster change—it was about losing a franchise cornerstone. Over his time in Colorado, he amassed an impressive 681 points (287 goals, 394 assists) in 619 regular-season games, securing his place in franchise history as seventh in points and assists and sixth in goals. His playoff performances were just as remarkable, notching 101 points (34 goals, 67 assists) in 81 games. The last two seasons had been his best, as he delivered back-to-back 100-point campaigns.

The financial negotiations surrounding Rantanen’s contract seemed to be the tipping point that ultimately led to his departure. According to reports from Daily Faceoff, the deal may have fallen apart over a mere $500,000 per year across eight seasons—a total of $4 million. However, there remains speculation about whether this was the true reason or if it was a case of revisionist history in the aftermath of the trade.

Avalanche's Mikko Rantanen ranked among top 5 wings by NHL Network - Yahoo  Sports

Before his exit, Rantanen was rumored to be asking for as much as $14 million per season, aiming to become one of the NHL’s highest-paid players. However, his decision to ultimately sign for $12 million annually in Dallas, after refusing what were reportedly similar offers from Colorado, has raised eyebrows. Some argue that the Avalanche were hesitant to pay him more than Nathan MacKinnon, who carries a $12.6 million annual cap hit. Others believe Rantanen overestimated his leverage, holding out for more until it was too late, forcing Colorado’s hand in trading him away.

As one NHL insider put it: “The Colorado Avalanche weren’t willing to go to $12 million a year. I think, in the end, (Rantanen’s) last communication with Colorado was that they were offering in the 11.5 range or 11.6. He said to them, ‘You know what, I know we’ve been asking for 14, but if we could get to 12, that’ll get the deal done.’ And I was told he was traded the next day.”

Now, with the ink dry on his new contract, Rantanen finds himself suiting up for one of Colorado’s biggest rivals. His first game against the Avalanche is set for Sunday, a matchup that will undoubtedly be filled with emotion. Despite the tensions surrounding his exit, Gabriel Landeskog revealed that several Avalanche players are planning to take their former teammate out to dinner before the game in an attempt to clear the air. Whether the fanbase will be as forgiving remains to be seen, but one thing is certain—Rantanen’s return to Denver will be must-watch hockey.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*